It's been brought to my attention, by Margaret over at Live Like No One Else, that when I lay out my Lego like this,
it's not a sign that I'm insane!
There's actually a name for this. It's called "knolling photography. It's the process of arranging like objects in parallel or 90 degree angles as a method or organization. Well, I've been doing this for a long time without realizing it was a "process." Check out some of my past knolling works from some of my old ebay collectibles lot listings:
I used to have a board that I worked on which was the same basic ratio as my camera frame. That way I could fill the board which would then translate to filling the camera frame, but a square is actually ideal to getting the most out of an ebay gallery photo.
Here's a square layout I did with Build-a-Bear clothes.
This knife laying vertical wouldn't fill that gallery photo frame.
So I did shot it on an angle going corner to corner to make it a little more interesting
and to use up the whole square.
and to use up the whole square.
Same with these mugs. Arranged in a square frame.
Margaret also happened to notice and comment how I photographed these pots.
Again, using that square. Two pots side by side would not be as effective.
Thanks Margaret for noticing! I'm not an expert on photography by any means and I use the crappiest camera, plus I use flash, but I try and do the most that I can with what I've got. Hopefully it results in my item getting noticed and ends with a sale. In the case of these pots, it did!
i think those pictures are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThanks Grace! :-)
Deletethanks for sharing this!! always looking for more ways to make my photos interesting and have never heard of this method...but love it!
DeleteYou're welcome Lorraine! LOL ;)
ReplyDelete:-)
DeleteYour new career . . . an art photographer! I've been using this for photos lately and I love it. Now you need to start posting them on instagram, which functions on the "square" photo!
ReplyDeleteNah, I don't need another social media thing right now. I'm swamped!
DeleteThere is something very satisfying about looking at photos laid out in the knolling manner. I had never heard of it either until reading about it in the comments section of your blog (Margarets comment). Then when I googled it I came across some really beautiful photos. I agree, you take great photos Lorraine. I noticed your pan photo too looked nice. They say a good photo is important. Now I want to buy some lots of items so I can knoll!!!
ReplyDeleteCool! Those lots of collectible didn't sell for very much unfortunately. I tried the "junk drawer" category to get rid of a lot of smalls. I never made any money but some people do really well with it.
DeleteI was going to say you did one awesome job of sorting and displaying those Lego bits... when I sold a large lot it was horrid, I put it in plastic bags and photoed the bags with the tops open it looked like I was selling dried beans or something. I am giving Ebay a rest for a while till I decide my next move with the new guidelines this past week i have had ZIP sales!! I'm beginning to think they turned my stuff off somehow to punish me for not responding to the store offer-->yikes!
ReplyDeleteThere's nothing wrong with photographing Legos in bags. A lot of people do it. don't be so hard on yourself. There's a lot of bad press about ebay going around so maybe buyers are being cautious right now.
DeleteI love those collection photographs! Beautiful! You obviously have an eye for design.
ReplyDeleteMy degree is in Design and I've never heard of "knolling"! Maybe it's more of a technical thing.
Your collection photos remind me of the I SPY books. Very cool!
I love those I Spy photos!
DeleteThat is just what I was going to say. My grandsons really enjoyed those books!
DeleteHello Lorraine! I've been reading your posts for the last few months, and learning so much! I just recently decided to try eBay as an extra source of income, and following a few blogs has been incredibly helpful. Today, I learned a new way to present my listings--love the square format! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! Good luck with your sales! :-)
DeleteIt's that gallery photo that is the most important and if it's square, it will make your photo appear larger than others that are not.
ReplyDeleteHad never heard of knolling, but I think you are a great Knoller! I try to photograph my items so they fit in that square gallery photo, but they don't look as nice as yours. I need to work on my knolling technique!
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you today. Always nice to expand my vocabulary and thanks to your post, I think I'm a knoller too, with my postcards.
ReplyDelete