Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Friday odds and ends.

I wonder if it comes with a Kia Soul?

I saw an ad this week on Craigslist for a free hamster. OMG, isn't he cute? The ad read, "He comes with his cage, and food I have left, anything that has to do with him is yours ALL FOR FREE TOO."
With three cats and a dog, it would never have a chance at our house.




Speaking of cats....
Ever since I sold my big desk, The Muffin has had no high place to perch and since I moved my computer upstairs, she's lonely down in the family room (her chosen domain). So I placed her sleeping box on top of the wall unit near my work area and she started using it this past week on a regular basis.


I swear I had nothing to do with it!
Remember I wrote that I had exciting news? Well, I can't hold it in any longer. Megan's been on a roll with her art and she's finally actually going to be recognized along with other talented children in a special  supplement of the local paper at the end of the month called Amazing Kids. She was nominated by one of her teachers.

Megan did a book signing at a craft show last Sunday and the photographer for the newspaper that's doing the feature showed up to take photos of her and the three of us together. All this made us realize that putting off Dave School for a year will probably be a mistake. We want to get her there as soon as we can which will mean living in Florida for at least a year. So, we're back to looking for houses in the Orlando area.

Our old doors make a new entrance.
We had to get rid of our old entry door, so I listed it in Freecycle and someone came to take it the next day. Turns out the couple had major flood damage to their home last year and they were still making repairs. The door was just what they needed! We gave the old screen door to another couple that I know through work.

Now this was entertainment to make anyone smile!



Are you old enough to remember Carmen Miranda? Maybe you remember the Daffy Duck version? Either way, anyone with flowers, feathers and fruit on their head has got to be the life of the party.

It just so happens, my husband had an old 1940s professional Carmen Miranda marionette and he decided to put it up for sale on Ebay.  She can move her hips, lift her skirt and do all kinds of things most marionettes can't do. We accepted a best offer of $300 and sent her off to Maryland . We felt kind of sad packing her up, but hopefully her new owner will love her just as much as we have. Look at that smile! Boom chicky boom!


If there's a box around, The Muffin has got to
check it out. I was tempted to send her to Maryland along with Carmen but Megan would never forgive me.


I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!


14 comments:

  1. We are hamster lovers primarily because of hubbys allergies to almost all other animals. We are on our fourth - I have never met an ugly one :). Your daughter is so talented, so nice she is being recognized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a hamster, but the one in that photo just looked so irresistible. If I didn't have so many pets already, I would have adopted him.
      And yes, I am so happy Megan is being recognized. She is the last one to promote herself because she thinks it's bragging and she hates it when I do it, so to have someone else nominate her was wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to Megan! That is absolutely awesome. What an accomplishment for someone so young. You must be a couple of seriously proud parents. Good luck with the Orlando house hunt.

    Hope this doesn't offend but your husband's marionettes kinda creep me out! lol But I'll definitely be watching for the other one on Criminal Minds. I cannot even tell you how much that episode will scare me. I showed your post to my hubby so he can watch for it too. He told me that he saw a couple of marionettes in the case at GW a month ago, $25 ea, and said they were really cool and very detailed but he didn't think I'd let them come into our house! I just say 'no' to dolls & ouiji boards. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are very proud! Megan's a very driven person and totally focused on her art. She works very hard and tries to improve every day.

      That's okay about feeling creeped out by the marionettes. The two we sold are very old, professional puppets so they are painted in such a way as to show up well on stage which does make them look a little scary. But if puppets creep you out in general, I understand that too. We feel that way about clowns. Megan is terrified of them so no trips to the circus for us!
      : )

      Delete
  3. Great news for Megan and your family. How exciting. So back to Florida plans huh? I think it's great the you and your husband are so supportive of her. And a year in Florida isn't really so bad. Think of all the sunshine you will be getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Florida, so hopefully it will all work out. Who knows? We might end up staying there. Anything can happen.

      Delete
  4. That hamster looks so precious! I love rodents in general and have a 6.5-year-old guinea pig (which, btw, they take a LOT of work and expense to take care of properly).

    I hear real estate in the Orlando area is extremely cheap these days and people are practically having to give houses away. But please don't give up on Fairhope, because it's such a beautiful and special place and the Eastern Shore area in general is an awesome place to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not giving up on Fairhope! Orlando is not as cheap as one would think. We're actually looking in a suburb called Clermont.

      Delete
  5. That is the cutest hamster picture Ive ever seen. Good luck to Megan--I hope she sells a ton of her books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got finished writing a paper for my Nature and Needs of the Talented class that talked about how a student's family background plays a role in the development of talent. With that being said, Megan is so lucky to have such supportive parents!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! We try and support Megan the same way parents of young Olympic athletes or parents of kids with other special talents would.

      Delete
  7. Hi! It's Patricia from the NEPA BlogCon. I'm so excited that Megan is being recognized! I'm working on her review. I want it to be special. I didn't want you to think I haven't been working on it. I can't wait to read more from her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, we saw your Amazon review. That was so nice of you to do that!!!
      Thanks so much!

      Delete

Anonymous comments are no longer permitted. Sorry I had to do this, but there is always someone who has to ruin it for everybody else.