
Well, I finally came across a video that had an aesthetic I was looking for and it looked like a fairly easy project I could tackle without needing too many expensive art supplies. There's a guy named Mike Deakin and he has tons of crafting videos. I found this one and it got me inspired. I had some small canvasses that I had purchased at a garage sale for pennies and I assembled a pile of bits and pieces and got to work.
First I painted the canvas black, but next time I won't bother. (You'll see why in the next step).
I hot glued all these little odds and ends things to it. This was fun and therapeutic for me as I have a penchant for knolling.
Then I spray painted the whole thing black.
This part was scary as I was heading into unknown territory.
This part was scary as I was heading into unknown territory.
Then I used metallic paints to give it an aged metal look.
I printed "IME" on my printer and decoupaged it with Mod Podge onto
the canvas next to the "T" Scrabble tile.
I used a key as a hanger in the back.
I think this is something I can add to hubby's booth. I have some ideas for more.
What do you think?
If any of my local readers would like to donate their junk drawer bits and pieces to me, I'd be happy to accept them. Just send me an email or get in touch with me via FB. Thanks!





That looks so good! Well done
ReplyDeleteWendy in Thailand
Thanks Wendy!
DeleteI really like this. I think I would just leave the black for my own personal taste with a little silver or gold rub and buff or whatever it's called. Don't get me wrong - I love your final result too. I just have a fair amount of black and white with a bit of silver on some of the black frames which is why I lean that way. You have a lot of talent and are more creative than you realize. I think this could be a nice addition to your husbands booth. I really liked the "key" hanger idea too. But since you have such a cool hanger, maybe you should finish off the back with some paint or something - just to dull the white a bit. Just a thought. I will check my bits - we just moved and some of what got tossed were a lot of the odds and ends. Probably don't have much. But will look. Good luck. Ranee (MN)
ReplyDeleteThanks Ranee! I'm actually thinking of doing one in white and then adding color. It would be a totally different look...more Victorian maybe? I'm experimenting...the trash can is close by. lol
DeleteTry laying everything out in the pattern you like and then take a picture. That way you can make changes without it being permanent and just take a picture of your favorite and then start painting and gluing. Then you won't fill the trash so fast. ;) I hope you share the Victorian look as well. It will be an interesting change from the one in black. I'm so excited for you. Ranee
DeleteI LOVE it! I loved seeing all of the steps you used to get to the finished product! It's great! ~~Pam
ReplyDeleteThanks Pam!
DeleteVery cool!
ReplyDeleteThank you and coming from someone who lives in NYC, that means a lot. :-)
DeleteVery funky and cool! You could sell those on ETSY if you wanted to :)
ReplyDeleteWell, we're giving things I'm making a test run at a convention in two weeks to see what kind of reaction they get.
DeleteThat turned out awesome! I'm not very crafty at all but love seeing how creative other's minds can be! keep your head up, I'm sure the pieces will fall into place on the employment front :)
ReplyDeleteGrace recently posted over at Picked by Grace
Thanks Grace. Will visit your blog soon!
DeleteI have a bunch of earring parts and maybe other things I have been trying to figure out what to do with them. I can mail them to you the slow and cheap way. This is a load off my mind if you want them. Someone mailed me a huge pressure from CA, so I will mail this to you.
ReplyDeletepressure canner
DeleteWell, if it's really a load off your mind...then thank you! Email me for my addy.
DeleteThat is so cool. I love the final product!
ReplyDeleteThanks. I know it's not everyone's taste. Not even sure it's mine. Just experimenting.
DeletePaint the canvas black first because it will be difficult to get the paint under the corners and edges of all the objects that are not flush with the canvass.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you!!! I know that good things are on the way and I continue to pray/send good vibes your way.
ReplyDeleteI was a little worried when you painted it black. But the end result is AWESOME!! I hope that you can make a living beign creative.
Wouldn't that be nice?
DeleteWow, that is beautiful and you could definitely sell them, easily!
ReplyDeleteYa think? I'm working on little 2" x 2" magnets. Having fun with those.
DeleteAs I was reading, I thought the it was done when you painted the whole thing black but then POW there was the finished one. I love it!! I agree with Practical Parsimony above, I would still paint the canvas black before starting because you might get some pooling of the paint when you are trying to get in under the edges. I would also paint the back, since it is dressed up a bit with the key. Love this, very cool!
ReplyDeleteGuess what? They sell black canvases at Michael's! Whoop!
DeleteReally cool look! You might want to try some cheap picture frames done in a similar fashion. I like the textured metallic look you have. I think it will be a great addition to your convention merchandise.
ReplyDeleteBought some wooden frames at Michael's for a buck yesterday! I'm on it! :-)
DeleteFantastic!
DeleteHow clever. And lovely.
ReplyDeleteYou are SO sweet!!!
DeleteLove love love your creation. Love the key hanger idea. I agree with painting the back . Maybe you could tuck a little something in the bottom corner of the frame on the back. A tiny little surprise when people pick it up to look at it or if they display it on a table easel.
ReplyDeleteI'm worried about painting the back. Have you ever hung something on the wall for a long time, only to remove it and find out it's stuck? That could happen and the black paint could transfer to someone's wall. I like the idea though. I should have thought of it in the beginning. I'm kind of afraid to mess with the piece now that it's done.
DeleteWhat about just a piece of brown paper - kraft paper or grocery bag. Or scrap book paper but that would add more to the finished price. Ranee
DeleteI placed an order with factorydirect.com yesterday as there was a 15% off Memorial Day discount and free shipping on orders over 50.00. I did see those tiny bottles with cork stoppers you used for jewelry previously. Maybe check what they have to offer. The talents and skills CLAMCO possess -- I think the 3 of you can make creativity become nicely profitable! I always enjoy seeing what you 3 make. Perhaps also look on craftgossip.com for ideas and trends and such. And please keep blogging -- I do look forward to reading about what is happening in your life. I know you moved south from PA -- I live in Johnstown.
ReplyDeleteCheck out these links -- that bunny is delightful http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/beautiful-steampunk-mini-creations/2015/09/23/
ReplyDeleteMaybe some ideas and inspiration here https://www.google.com/search?q=craft+gossip+steampunk&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9pc79loXNAhXKGz4KHeHYDW4QsAQIVg&biw=1261&bih=850 BTW, I believe in you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Linda for believing in me. I'm trying. I really am. Thanks for all the links and info. I have done some looking around. I like the mixed media art. I think if I practice and develop some better skills, I can make things that will appeal to more people than just steampunk enthusiasts.
DeleteNot gonna lie, didn't know where you were going after you put the items on the canvas. I was blown away with the end result! Awesome. And you had so many words that I just didn't understand. Never been into the art scene other than enjoying looking at it. I draw stick figures poorly!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE it, awesome creativity. Keep on crafting!!
ReplyDeleteI agree about the paint on the back coming off on the wall. Can you put those little rubber dots on the bottom corners. Lots of pictures have those. Or, is there something black or not that you can staple/glue/stick on the back so it looks less rough, more finished?
ReplyDeleteThere are different shades of black, so you may need to lightly spray the black canvas anyway. Take the product outdoors, under all light sources and see if there is funny shadow where the black canvass meet. Does that make sense?
ReplyDeleteI love it Lorraine & think it will be awesome for Chris's booth! I'm glad you are enjoying being creative.
ReplyDeleteRhonda
You are one talented lady! Creative and hardworking, and it is a darn shame those jerks you worked for didn't appreciate you. Their treatment of you was totally shocking and disgraceful. I am sure you are headed for better things.
ReplyDeleteNancy in Connecticut
LOVE THIS!!!! I NEED one of those...immediately! Thank you for showing all of the stages. I LOVE all of them =)
ReplyDeleteJen
Really cool. I think there's something nice about the flat black colour as well that you could explore? I like the metallic touch too but I was really drawn to the flat colour...
ReplyDeleteI am not very artsy, so I know exactly what you mean by 'scary' when it was time to paint it all black! And...it looks AMAZING, as in, I love it and would buy it if I saw it for sale at a Con or local Arts Fair. I think it must have been therapy for you, as you have gone thru a whole lot with your job. Tho your write up was terrific about what kids and parents should know about school cafeterias, please know that your talents are obviously wasted on this school district paying your hard-working self minimum wage! It's too bad decent jobs seem so far and few-between in your area, as I've been trolling your whole move from PA to AL, and the place locally looks amazing. Maybe...it was just meant to be, you leaving the school lunchroom behind and using your smarts and obvious writing (enjoyable blog!) talents and under-used creativity to make your own art & writing a home business! Your artwork should be on Etsy and Pintrest--DO IT. Let some of your fans from this blog link it up, it can't hurt. Too bad there's not better inventory sources for your eBay business there, that's where I started following your blog, as you are obviously talented with your little metal finds and everything else! Maybe you can find those little metal things, and make artwork like that more and more. You have been an inspiration to me, to make that giant move from your home state, and it's been so interesting to watch your daughter grow in age and talents, as well as your improvements to the rental home and now your own. You inspire me so much...and now creative artwork too??! I just sell on eBay with my husband...we don't make a lot, but it's a living we can do together, not working for the 'Man', and we'd never go back to a 9-5 job, with all the back-stabbing and office politics... We like who we both are and can be, and look forward to our future, and like to read about others like us too! Chin Up! You are loved just as you are, and are so much more that that job, and that awful new supervisor. Move up and out to more and better!
ReplyDeleteWow! What an amazing comment. Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean so much to me. I do find myself liking this mixed media art form. I get to use ordinary things and turn them into something special. That's right up my alley as a reseller. I need to work on my technique as I'm struggling to get just the right look. We have some supplies on order that will hopefully help me out. Once I'm confident that I can get the same result more than once, I will put some things in my Etsy store. Thank you again for the boost of confidence Deeda! Wow!
DeleteI will also check around my (junky) home for bits and pieces for your artwork, as well as my local GW Outlet bins. Would love to add to your creativity without you paying out for stuff constantly. We've tentatively looked around at inventory sources for our eBay business when we've traveled locally around Seattle or while on vacation (Las Vegas, San Diego, Orlando, Vancouver BC) and we've found that you need a fairly dense set population combined with a thriving economy (which I think AL where you are doesn't have) to have enough to source very cheaply at Thrift stores, GW Outlets, Estate and Yard Sales. You've got to have people moving, having kids, growing up, passing away, and just constantly BUYING and giving away stuff to get decent inventory...and a GW Outlet doesn't hurt either. Once population goes down, or it's transitory (tourism), or minimum wage is very low (Orlando is a good example), people are thrifting because they NEED those items to live, and don't just buy and buy and give stuff away. We see it when we visit thrift stores just an hour out of Seattle, for example. Or you've got to source your items cheaply or travel to get them, or specialize in the quirky (and have amazing tech skills) like the Scavenger Life blog! Best of Luck!
ReplyDeleteWe went to a GW outlet in Mobile. It was the lowest of the low, let me tell you. I felt like I needed a shower when I left. I've seen better items curbside. It was very sad to see the people there picking through absolute crap. We sometimes get lucky at yard sales, estate sales and church sales. GW has raised their prices on everything so no bargains there anymore.
DeleteThe Seattle one can be quite good, most people are very nice, but there are a few semi-homeless odd ones that smell or talk to themselves. There's the shoe and luggage people, and the true 'Pickers' of vintage cowboy boots, leather belts (some are Artisans!) and Vintage clothing, as well as toy pickers, and families and people just looking for a bargain. It's not too gross (my husband the germophobe would disagree!), but lots of broken stuff, wire, metal, glass. I like bags, toys, and vintage, but I don't go crazy. But it is WAY cheaper to source this way than the regular GW stores, which I agree, is getting crazy in prices. I try to shop on 50% off days, which seem to be coming less often than before.
DeleteI've seen some of Mike's work too and subscribe to him on YouTube.
ReplyDeleteAnyway. . .you did an awesome job with this. This style is something I also want to try out and keep on planning to do it. You beat me to it and did a fabulous job. I'm sure my first try will never end up being as amazing as yours is. Keep it up. I like what you're doing very much!
This turned out amazing! Love it! This is what I mean when I say you are so talented and I also think you can do well selling on Etsy. I thought I saw that you also made some earrings. I thought those were great too!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow Lorraine. That looks freaking amazing! Wow!!! Those will be an amazing addition to hubby's booth. I'm certain. When you first mentioned painting it all black I was unsure until I saw you finish it off with the metallic paints. Man, those are fabulous. I love your hubby's art too, but this blew me away. So striking!
ReplyDelete