Saturday, January 6, 2024

Starting 2024 Off With a Big Vet Bill!

 

Our sweet Zoey is almost 10 and, if you're a dog owner, you know that's usually when health problems start to surface. Zoey has been having some digestive issues for at least 6 months. Many vet visits, blood tests and stool samples showed nothing out of the ordinary, but her problem persisted, so we opted for an ultrasound this past week to see what's going on inside.

Although nothing is conclusive, the test showed that her intestines are inflamed and her lymph nodes are enlarged. The vet could not  say she has cancer without either abdominal exploratory surgery or a colonoscopy, both which are prohibitively expensive. We opted for conservative care in the way of medicine (steroids, antibiotics) and prescription formula dog food. ($5.00 a can!). In the past two weeks we have spent one thousand dollars at the vet. Not a great start to the new year. 


This is Zoey in Oct 2022

This is her now. She has lost 10 pounds. 

She still enjoys rides in the car and walks in the park. She loves the new food and gobbles it down with the pills hidden inside it. If she doesn't show any improvement in a couple of week, we will assume it's probably gastric lymphoma (cancer). At least that's what I'm thinking. It's hard to believe 10 years have passed. I still remember so clearly when she was just a puppy and no bigger than our cat.

Muffin and Zoey.

She's a good dog, a sweet and simple dog. We have already made peace with the fact that she probably won't be with us much longer, but time will tell. Hoping for the best. 

I hope everyone in blog land had a safe and happy holiday. I feel weird wishing everyone a happy new year because I'm actually dreading 2024. It's an election year and the hate is really going to ramp up. I don't have any resolutions, plans or goals. I just hope our country will still be intact and that we are all still here this time next year. Again, hoping for the best. Take care and I will update on Zoey if anything changes. Thanks for stopping by. 




14 comments:

  1. Oh it is so hard when one of our fur babies isn't well. I hope that the meds and new diet allow her some time yet.
    Happy New Year! I do hope that 2024 proves to be less chaotic than expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So far she is loving the food and her poops are looking great, lol.

      Delete
  2. Aw, so sorry Lorraine. The hardest part of having pets is watching them decline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but hopefully she'll bounce back. She seems better already!

      Delete
  3. That is so very hard. My heart goes out to you, both about Zoey and your election year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh...I'm so sorry to hear about Zoey and am holding out hope that she doesn't have cancer.
    Dogs and cats are so much better than people and yet the lifespan is so much shorter.
    Happy New Year to you and I an also dreading the election. The support behind that one guy simply boggles my mind. I.Just.Don't.Get.It. It's as if common sense has flown the coop...as my Mom used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Zoey. I'll hope for the best with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think she might make a turn for the better.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry that Zoey is having trouble. I pray it isn't cancer. It's hard when they get older and start declining. I've been through it three times with our pets. Sending healing prayers for Zoey and Happy New Year wishes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dread 2024, too. I still hope Zoey will improve with the food and medication. It's great that she loves the food. Franklin loves his prescription food, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lorraine, I am so sorry to hear about Zoey's health struggles. She seems like such a sweet dog. I am praying for her and for you. The worst thing about having a pet is losing them. As Cheryl said, they are so much better than people -- they love unconditionally -- and yet they have such short life spans, compared to humans,

    I've had dogs since I was 11, and absolutely love them. Currently only have one, and she will be 9 this year. I live alone and would be lost without her.

    All the best to Zoey and your family. I hope the improvement you are seeing is long-term.

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are no longer permitted. Sorry I had to do this, but there is always someone who has to ruin it for everybody else.