With just a few days left to my summer vacation, and with hubby and Megan out of town, I decided to start a project that ended up taking me much longer than I expected.
I was in the laundry room, looking at the water heater and wondering how I could cover it up. I remembered we had a pair of louvered bi-fold doors in the shed that we had taken off the closet in my office way back when we first bought the house.
Here is that closet with the doors on.
After taking the doors off, hubby built a shelf for the closet, making it a shipping center for my ebay business and I also used it as a photo studio. I put a shower curtain tension rod across the top with a pair of sheer panels, so I could close it up when I didn't use the area. It worked great for a long time.
When I stopped doing ebay, it became my crafting center and it's now the spot where you'll find me painting rocks. It's kind of messy, but it's all confined to this one closet and it works for me.

Well, enough of that. Back to the water heater.
So I had this brilliant idea of using one of the bi-fold doors as a screen to put in front of the water heater. I could use the other one somewhere else. I'm a big fan of "using what you have" before buying anything new or used. I remembered we had saved those doors in case we wanted to put them back on, like if we should ever happen to put the house up for sale. So I went into the shed and got them out. They were filthy and loaded with little spiders, so I cleaned them off before bringing them inside.
I had a jar of Dixie Belle aqua colored chalk paint that I had purchased on clearance and it was the same color that I had painted a few other pieces of furniture, so I decided it would be a good choice. Plus, if I ever decided to put the doors back on in my office, they'd compliment the furniture that's already in there. So I began my painting, thinking I'd be done in one day.
Yeah, right.
Have you ever painted louver doors?
It's a special kind f hell.
Nooks and crannies galore. They required two coats on both sides.
Each set of doors took me a day. This is probably why they invented spray paint.
Each set of doors took me a day. This is probably why they invented spray paint.
After I finished the first set, I had an idea that they might look good in the living room against a big blank wall I'd been waiting to cover with artwork that I'd either find at a yard sale or make myself.
Well, that one set didn't make much of an impact, but it made me think that perhaps the water heater might remain un-shielded as the thought of pairing the doors against that wall was running through my mind. Oh, but that meant painting them! AHHH!
So I painted the second set of doors which took me another day.
And here they are paired up against that wall.

And here they are paired up against that wall.
Here is a wide shot of the entire room. You can see that I have a sideboard on the opposite side of the room painted in the same color. I think they balance out the space with color and weight.
What do you think?
And so ends my louver story.
Today I will be shampooing carpets. Hubby and Megan are in Florida. Hubby made a "guest artist appearance" yesterday in St Augustine at Aunt Matilda's Steampunk Trunk, where his merchandise is now being sold. He's giving up doing conventions because this has been working out well and he plans to continue. The store just expanded and is doing great. Hubby and Megan will be back tomorrow, so while they're gone, I'll use the opportunity to clean the carpets. After that, I'll get back to painting some more rocks.
Today I will be shampooing carpets. Hubby and Megan are in Florida. Hubby made a "guest artist appearance" yesterday in St Augustine at Aunt Matilda's Steampunk Trunk, where his merchandise is now being sold. He's giving up doing conventions because this has been working out well and he plans to continue. The store just expanded and is doing great. Hubby and Megan will be back tomorrow, so while they're gone, I'll use the opportunity to clean the carpets. After that, I'll get back to painting some more rocks.
Aack! I thought you were using every minute to paint rocks for the show? Those doors look nice where you put them. I would knock them over somehow. Mightn't the cats go behind them and knock them over?
ReplyDeleteI had a long to-do list for summer and I had to get those carpets cleaned. I never got around to doing the windows. That can wait for cooler weather. Not worried about the cats. They're not trouble makers, thank goodness.
DeleteI have painted those doors before__it's worth renting a sprayer for a day to paint them.
ReplyDeleteLove the way they look as a screen. It grounds your room, plus I am a sucker for aqua.
Well, it was kind of therapeutic painting them in a way. I binge watched The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu while I did it. Boy, was that disturbing! I'm glad I watched it though.
DeleteI have to say I really love how warm, cheerful and inviting your living room looks. You really have transformed the look from the all wood you started with in Penn.
ReplyDeleteWell, I can't think of a nicer compliment. Thank you Candace. :-)
DeleteThe doors look great! I've been doing some housework and no painting but think today is good day to get back to it. Enjoy your rock painting!
ReplyDeleteYes, it's good to paint knowing all is clean. No worries! Enjoy!
DeleteHi Lorraine, painting shutters of any size is a huge job - looks great and adds lovely color with the doors added to your living room, love seeing the entire room, you have created such a welcoming and beautiful space.
ReplyDeleteHugs.
Joy
Thank you Joy. That means the world to me. Thank you. :-)
DeleteI've just read Aunt Matilda's facebook and then Chris's. WOW.
DeleteWhat a great way to share his creations.
Joy
You are so creative! I never would have thought of putting the shutter doors against a wall like that. And you're right, they do balance the room with the sideboard, it looks great!
ReplyDeleteThank you. Sometimes I get things right. Ha ha!!
DeleteI feel for you, we painted 4 sets of them with spray paint and even that was very difficult. Cleaning the dust off of them was even harder though, the previous owners had never cleaned them so the dust was caked on. I really like what you did with them, they look great!
ReplyDeleteFour sets? Ack! Yes, cleaning them is a bear, especially if it's old dirt that's stuck on. Eeek!
DeleteThey look wonderful. And yes painting them would be a cow of a job. I have cleaned them before and that was bad enough.
ReplyDeleteI will try and vacuum them with the brush attachment regularly.
DeleteHa, you clean carpets when your family is out of town too! I think the doors look nice, really like a nice accent piece. You can always move them if you tire of them too - really versatile that way. Definitely beach house look!
ReplyDeleteYes, cleaning carpets is always easier with no people around. lol
DeleteLove the new colors off the doors. I think they look great there in the living room!
ReplyDeleteThank you Rachel!
DeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDelete:-)
DeleteI like the look. You could even hang artwork from it in the future if you'd like. With a houseful of artists...and no artwork for that area??? Easy to say; not easy to do, from one artist to another! This screen is great! I love the color and the balance it lends to your living room.
ReplyDeleteNope, no artwork for that area. Funny how that works, isn't it? I don't think I'm the canvas painting type, but my mom was. My dad has dozens of her paintings in his house and someday they'll be divided among myself and my siblings. I'm saving space for those.
Delete