Today is my last day of summer vacation. I have loved every minute of being off. Even though I didn't actually go anywhere special or do anything particularly fun or adventurous, I enjoyed all of my free time and felt very happy being home in peace with my family and pets. I discovered a new hobby and got to share it with many people which brought me so much joy.
The above photo of me was taken at a church where I was invited to speak and show my painted rocks to a group of teen girls that came from troubled homes. We had a rock painting session and the girls really got into the whole idea, so much so that they didn't even realize that they had missed their lunch time. On a later date, they were planning to go on a field trip to hide their rocks. I wasn't allowed to take photos to protect their privacy, but I was honored to be invited and spend time with them.
I painted a LOT of rocks this summer. Many I gave away, many were commissioned or sold, but I'm still painting more to display for sale at a fall market event in October. I'm trying to make at least one rock a day until then. Here are some rocks I've done recently. I will add notes underneath each one.
![]() |
| Another pet memorial rock for a recently deceased pup. |
![]() |
| This was commissioned by a friend who wanted something dragon themed for her son. |
![]() |
| The same person wanted this for her daughter who is a swim coach for a team named the Seahorses. |
![]() |
| This is very recent. I wanted to try this effect. I'm very happy with how it came out. |
![]() |
| Here is another version I did yesterday. |
| I had a wedge shaped rock that just told me it was supposed to be an orange slice. |
| This was fun. I even managed to get an orange peel texture on the rind by dotting it first and then painting over it, similar to how I did the football. |
And that's what I've been doing all summer long. It has been a self discovery of sorts and quite an interesting journey. You may recall that these were the first rocks I painted back in June.
I've come a long way since then.
In other news, hubby and Megan traveled to St Augustine, Florida last week to deliver some Black Flame Creations merchandise to Aunt Matilda's Steampunk Trunk. It was a very successful trip and hubby did an artist appearance there at the store which is fabulous. They said that the area was just beautiful everywhere you looked and full of tourists. We watched a live cam from inside the store last night and it was non-stop people. Hubby will be selling this way, on consignment, from now on. No more conventions. If you are ever there, please stop in and check out all the cool stuff.
![]() |
| Hubby with the store owner. Yes, she dresses up like that every day! |
So, tomorrow it's back to the real job. We have a newly hired assistant manager and I've heard nothing but good things about her, so I expect it's going to be a great year!
Rock on and steam on, people!
Rock on and steam on, people!








Why do schools start so early in that region? We don't start until after Labor Day, and are out the second week of June.
ReplyDeleteThey start early so that the first semester ends at Christmas break. At least that is the reasoning I've read. We get a whole week off for T-Giving and 2 weeks for Christmas, which some people are arguing is too much time off. One school in Mobile is trying year round school which I think has 9 week on and 3 weeks off, something like that.
DeleteAlso, although I start tomorrow, the kids don't start until the 21st. We will be cleaning and getting the cafeteria ready for the first day with kids.
DeleteWe still get two weeks at Christmas, but just 2 1/2 for Thanksgiving. We also get a four day weekend in February, one week in April, and then all the Monday holidays except Columbus Day.
DeleteI must say, it would be nice if Christmas break coincided with the end of the marking period. But, I wouldn't like it enough to start before Labor Day!
Best of luck this year!
You seemed a bit more at peace this summer, maybe painting rocks are like meditation. So nice of you to show those girls how to paint the rocks, a creative outlet for them. That is good news about the assistant manager, hopefully she is everything that you heard. Wouldn't it be great if you had a stress free year at work?
ReplyDeleteA stress free year at work sounds amazing, doesn't it? Yes, I'm looking forward to less stress, but I admit a lot of it comes from myself. I need to work on my self confidence this year.
DeleteHonestly Lorraine I cannot believe that you have had any job but being an artist and painting! You are SO GOOD! AND look how much you have enjoyed yourself this summer. If you decide to do memorial rocks I hope you will post it here. : )
ReplyDeleteI hope all goes well and you have a great first week and year back in the kitchen at school!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThank you Candace. I know some professional artists and they work very hard to make a living. It's all self driven and you can't be afraid to go big on some things...take on commissions that might be out of your comfort zone...all kinds of scary stuff that would intimidate me. lol If I did rocks full time, I would probably burn out.
DeleteI certainly see where you are coming from. : ) I would not want to be the starving, suffering artist either. It is wonderful that you have found a hobby where you can be creative, have fun and not have all that stress and you are really good too which must be so satisfying.
DeleteYou have come a long way with the rock painting for sure. You can make good money with the memorial rocks. My favorites of this post are the sea horse and the orange slice! Back to school. I hope you have a good year!
ReplyDeleteMemorial rocks probably would be lucrative, but there is a lot of pressure to get a likeness, which is not easy, especially if the pet is all one color like an all black cat or an all white dog. I'm not that good...at least not yet. ;-)
DeleteYour rocks ROCK Lorraine. Have a very good year back at work and thinking positively that the new assistant manager is a great asset to the team. Great news about Chris and consigning at such a great market. Hugs all.
ReplyDeleteJoy
Thank you Joy. The ass't manager has already friended me on facebook and I can tell she's a nice person with a good sense of humor. She is also artsy which is great. And hubby is very excited to be making more items for that store. No more traveling to different venues, setting up a booth, standing for 3 days, tearing down the booth, etc.
DeleteEvery time you post, I am amazed at what you can do! If you insist on a side gig at the school, so be it...lol. I completely got out of doing craft shows when I decided wholesale was the way to go and with a different product I sewed. I sort of missed the people who sold at the shows. But, I liked the freedom from all the travel, packing and unpacking.
ReplyDeleteYes, all that packing, unpacking, setting up, packing up again...it gets old. And I'm old. Don't really want to do that at my age.
DeleteI have really enjoyed your summer hobby!
ReplyDeleteI am not sure which school is yours but my nephews son starts kindergarten this year and I will be telling him to look for Ms. Lorraine in the cafeteria. Hope this is a great year and you are very happy in your job.
We had our first day today and it was great. I think it's going to be a good year!
DeleteI am so pleased that you enjoyed your new summer hobby - because I loved id. As I scrolled down my favourites changed, but I loved them all. Even if the memorial rocks made my eyes leak a little (still missing Jewel).
ReplyDeleteI hope that work treats you very, very kindly.
Losing a pet is very heartbreaking. I never thought I would get over the pain of losing my first dog Coco, but I guess I have after 4 years. She has a special place in my heart now. I have her collar and it still smells like her. A friend painted a portrait of Coco and I asked her to put some of the ashes in the paint, which she did. I love the painting, so I completely understand why people want little memorials for their beloved pets.
DeleteI've been reading your blog for years and had no idea you had this wonderful talent! Your rocks are stunning.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteIt has been a joy to watch and see your creations. The donkey has my heart-I grew up with a pet donkey.
ReplyDeleteA pet donkey? Neat!!!
DeleteYou didn't do anything particularly adventurous? I disagree. You created art!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Lol, well it's not like I rode a zipline over the Grand Canyon, but okay. lol.
DeleteArt is better than a zipline over the Grand Canyon.
DeleteThanks Janie! I needed to hear that. A friend of mine actually did do that zipline with her family out in Vegas. Her vacation pics looked so cool and exciting. It made me feel like I had the most boring life. Although I admire what they did, I myself have no desire to do that kind of thing.
DeleteIt has been a joy to follow you and see your rock painting adventure unfold. I love them all! My fav is the crow in your banner photos. Best of all is how you share the chapters of your life so honestly with so much humility. You have an infectious spirit that's been ever so inspiring to me.
ReplyDeleteWishing you well as you transition into a new school year.
Terri
Awww, thank you Terri. And thank you for the email. I will try and write soon!
DeleteYou have tapped into a new creative outlet which may be more rewarding than any adventure outside the city! Glad you had a restful vacation and can't believe we didn't get our bloggers group together while you were off work! All the best for the new year!
ReplyDeleteNot sure I'd have much to contribute to the group these days. My readership is way down, I was kicked out of adsense, and I'm not really involved socially with anything except some rocks. lol
DeleteI have enjoyed watching the results of your rock painting hobby. Each piece has been wonderful in it's own way. You are very talented!
ReplyDeleteGood luck in your job this school year!!
Thank you Rachel. Today was our first day and it went really well!
DeleteLove all your rocks! My son went back to school today so summer is over here. Once the middle child starts community college in a couple weeks there won't be anyone home making dirty dishes while I'm at work ;)
ReplyDeleteHey, no dirty dishes is definitely a plus! I hope they both have a great year at school. :-)
DeleteHey Lorraine, LOVE your rocks. You guys are so dang gifted..wow. I can't believe summer is over. Mine start in a couple of weeks and my oldest is off to college at the end of August...I still can't believe I have a son going off to college. Wow does time fly! Good luck with your new asst. manager.
ReplyDeleteYou have successfully tapped into a new outlet for your talent! Your artwork is awesome!!
ReplyDeleteWow, Wow, and double wow! Your rocks are so cool. I am sorry you have to return to the Real World!
ReplyDelete